Re: circular build-dependency in debconf

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 01:06:07PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> > The package should really be able to build the -utils part of itself
> > first, then use the -utils binaries it's just built to build the rest
> > of it.
>
> I know it's evil. Fixing it requires moving some directories in cvs or
> doing some kind of hack. I will probably just do a hack, but it's not
> near the top of my priority queue to fix this.

I believe I started this in a message I posted on debian-hurd.
Don't worry about it too much.  Because debconf-utils is binary-all, it
got built on another arch and was available (I originally missed it) to
build debconf proper natively on the hurd.  Splitting out the utils part
so this could happen was a "good thing" since it lets a cross-build of
the arch indep part bootstrap a native build of the arch dependent part.

What I'm wondering about is why debconf hasn't made it into hurd-i386.
With the number of packages available for the hurd, I'm guessing there's
an autobuilder running somewhere.  Since debconf-utils is available and
the other build dependencies seem to be met, I'd have thought debconf
would have been built by now.  Am I wrong about the autobuilder or is
there something else keeping debconf from autobuilding on hurd-i386?

Steve

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)
Buckeye, AZ   <sbowman@goodnet.com> <bowmanc@acm.org>