Chroot woody setup in 15 minutes

    Daniel> I absent-mindedly compiled lbreakout against the X4
    Daniel> libraries.  Doh!  The obvious solution is to install a
    Daniel> clean build system (which I probably ought to do
    Daniel> anyway..), but I have a number of course deadlines and
    Daniel> midterms this week and can't get to it immediately :(

    Joey> Someone else has probably already volenteered (hard to tell
    Joey> when you're reading mail offline), but I thought I'd
    Joey> volenteer and also point out that it takes about 15 minutes
    Joey> to set up a base chroot system you can cleanly build
    Joey> anything in.

Joey is right. Doing a chroot woody setup really does only take
about 15 minutes. Here's some rough notes on what I had to do
to set one up on my potato box; I did GIMP builds there with no
problems.

1) download base2_2.tgz
2) as root, untar in safe place (homedir, /usr/local/woody, whatever)
3) as root, chroot /usr/local/woody /bin/sh
4) mount proc -t proc /proc
5) put name servers in /etc/resolv.conf
6) put the REAL machine name in /etc/hostname. run hostname -F /etc/hostname. Copy /etc/hosts from real machine.
7) edit /etc/apt/sources.list, change stable to unstable, comment-out security.debian.org
8) use *dselect* to Update and install build-essential.. removing tetex packages and emacs20 and doc-linux-text is helpful to reduce size -- for some reason dpkg-dev won't install with apt, but dselect is ok

Sorry these aren't more detailed, but I hope they help.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters A and H and the number 2.
"If you turn both processors off, you will have to reboot."