Re: priority of x-window-manager

[please follow up to debian-policy only]

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 05:22:22PM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It might be too late but Mr. Sano kindly taught me the mechanism
> of x-window-manager and suggested me to consult the mail

Well, it's not too late for woody, but it is for potato.

[my x-window-manager policy snipped]

> Then I would like to propose one more condition;
>
> "if the window manager is internationalized then add 10 points"
>
> I think that the default window manager of Debian should be
> internationalized so the above condition is reasonable.
>
> PS. I do not subscribe debian-policy so please CC to debian-devel
> also but not to myself because I do not want duplicated mails ;)

If you want to make a policy proposal, please review the guidelines
(install the debian-policy manual and consult it), and subscribe to
debian-policy.

Also, I don't understand what this will buy us.  An app, such as a window
manager, can be internationalized, but it might not be localized for the
user's locale.

IOW, it doesn't seem to me that a window manager is any more useful from a
user's perspective if it is internationalized, if it doesn't have
localization for this locale.

Therefore, I am not sure that escalating the priority of i18n'ed window
managers is really going to accomplish anything.

Moreover, Debian doesn't have a default window manager, and may never.  The
point of these priority values is to "reward" the ones that are better
integrated into our system.

But there may be some aspects of i18n that I am missing here.  Please take
this opportunity to educate me on the subject.  My mind can be changed.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson            |     Never underestimate the power of human
Debian GNU/Linux               |     stupidity.