Re: Origin of Open Source, history of Linux?

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 09:55:02PM -0700, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> 	I'm just looking for *any* historical articles available about
> linux. Linus' days in college, RMS' projects, the Open Source mark, how it
> all fits together....
> 	Basically this is what I'm aiming at. I need to write a paper. And
> umm, the contents just might be contributed back to debian if things work
> out right -- this is why I'm posting to -devel, but I can't give specifics.
> Sorry if I'm a bit vague, but this is really going to end up being a bit
> more than an article ;P
> 	Yes, I know, comp.os.linux.announce. I'm just looking to diversify a
> bit.

beside direct resources from the web, you may want to check the new book
from O'Reilly, about Open Source. It has lots of articles, from RMS over
Linus to ESR. It also has a copy of the ancient Linus-Tannenbaum thread on
the minix news group.

(Tannenbaum should take a look at the Hurd, btw :)

RMS has some stuff, too. Check the GNU web site. Check also the following
link where RMS tells a bit about the old days in MIT. Ask famous people for
copies of their papers for various talks, too.

http://gnu.via.ecp.fr/philosophy/stallman-kth.html

Furthermore, there is some ancient stuff in /usr/share/emacs/20.3/etc/,
especially the files CENSORSHIP, copying.paper, GNU, INTERVIEW, JOKES
(Seriously!), LINUX-GNU, LPF, MOTIVATION, WHY-FREE.

To get some impression about computer security and system administration in
USA in the "old days", try Coockoos Egg by Clifford Stoll (someone beat me
if I spelled this wrong).

Also, the Jargon file should be a serious source for information.

You did try old news groups archives, right? Old mailing list archives will
also help, if you find someone with a copy of them.

Have fun,
Marcus