Re: Passwd encrytion

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, vineet punetha wrote:

> hi all,
>       how can one decrypt /etc/passwd file and crack into the system.
>   How do you go about decrypting the codings since these being time
> dependent.

It would be crazy to try to decrypt the passwords when it's so easy to
exploit simple buffer overflows like the following one:

echo "I jnag gb penpx ebbg.  Pyrnfr erzbir zl nppbhag." | tr n-za-m a-z |
mailx root

Put it all on one line and the mailx program should overflow and give you
a root shell.  Now let's kill this thread and get back to real work on
this list.

Enjoy,
Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell  bmitch@atdot.org  http://bmitch.dhis.org/  ICQ 30631197 |
| Throughout history, UNIX systems have regularly been broken into, beaten, |
| brutalized, corrupted, commandeered, compromised, and illegally fscked.   |
|                                    -- UNIX System Administration Handbook |