What is the licence of Debian-specific files (Was: Intent to package "vibrant" graphical library

On Tuesday 16 February 1999, at 9 h 2, the keyboard of Craig Sanders
<cas@taz.net.au> wrote:

> if it's public domain, remember to GPL your changes :-)

It meets a problem I have for a long time. I take a program. I add some
Debian-specific files (programconfig, postinst, etc). What is the licence of
these files? Can anyone take my work and close it, for instance?

Note that I do not mention the patches I make to the original files. I refer
only to the new files added. What is the licence of a Debian package, if the
original (upstream) licence is Berkeley-style, for instance?