Re: Censoring :) (was: Re: anarchism_7.7-1.deb)

[about a flat-file installation tool].

On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 07:58:02PM +0200, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:
> If you make such a tool and people start to use it on a large scale, you'd
> better be sure you get the package dependencies right.

The context was data files which have no particular administrative
requirements.  Consider a tool which would install into a "safe" part
of the namespace, and do something reasonable for a "package-name"
[perhaps using some convention which is illegal for a debian package,
to avoid any potential name conflicts.]

There are complications -- for example, it's probably reasonable for
a person to add documents to an existing collection (pseudo-package).
It's also probably reasonable to define a mapping between some url and
the local documents (allowing semi-automated or automated updating for
frequently changing documents).  [[I guess I'm currently describing
something like a a cut down version of mirror, or maybe wget, with
uninstall.]]

But this idea probably needs to be fleshed out more (or shot full of
holes) before it gets implemented.

--
Raul