Re: Censoring :) (was: Re: anarchism_7.7-1.deb)

On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 01:12:06AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:

> Alternate question: why do we even have to package up flat text files?
> Why can't we just import them into debian in some regular manner?  [I can
> see that naming convention is important, but are there any other issues
> beyond that? -- I mean, besides the issue of the current implementation
> of dpkg.]

Exactly. A better designed package manager would support modular package
format handling. then we could simply do (let's call the package manager
hpm for now):

hpm -i blacksteel.etheme  instead   dpkg -i etheme-blacksteel.deb
hpm -i realvideo.tar.gz   instead   alien; dpkg
hpm -i somestuff.rpm      instead   alien; dpkg
hpm -i CPAN:mymodule
hpm -i CTAN:mytexstyle
hpm -i gutenberg:faust

and so on.

I think we will be able to do this in a few years, because we have to to cope
with the grow of free information and data available.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org  Check Key server