/usr/share/doc will introduce lots of strangeness

I do all my work on Debian Slink i386, but just made a potato
install on Alpha.  To my surprise, some of my packages are broken
wrt the /usr/share issue on alpha.  Note that these are packages
that I haven't upgraded yet wrt this issue, and so they are
stated in the control file to be compliant to policy version
2.4.1 (and not 3.0.1).

$ dpkg -L xwatch
[cut]
/usr/doc
/usr/doc/xwatch
/usr/doc/xwatch/html
/usr/doc/xwatch/html/xwatch.html
/usr/doc/xwatch/html/xwatch01.html
/usr/doc/xwatch/html/xwatch02.html
/usr/doc/xwatch/html/xwatch03.html
/usr/doc/xwatch/html/xwatch04.html
/usr/doc/xwatch/html/xwatch05.html
/usr/doc/xwatch/html/index.html
/usr/doc/xwatch/xwatch.txt
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/xwatch
/usr/share/doc/xwatch/copyright
/usr/share/doc/xwatch/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/xwatch/README.debian
/usr/share/doc/xwatch/MAINTAINER.README
/usr/share/doc/xwatch/xwatch.README
/usr/share/doc/xwatch/changelog.Debian.gz
[cut]

My rules file installed the html files by hand in
/usr/doc/xwatch/html/ and debstd installed the other doc files
(readme, changelog and copyright).

I'm guessing a _lot_ of ported packages will be broken like
this since maybe developers use a combination of hand-rolling
commands and either debmake or debhelper commands in their rules
file.

As soon as a policy package is uploaded that is compliant with
the technical committee's decision on this issue, I plan to
upload new versions of all my packages such that they will be
rebuilt in all arches.  But if many developers don't do this for
potato, I'm sure non-i386 architectures will have a messy potato
release!

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada