Re: building kernel 2.0.x under potato

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Chris Rutter wrote:

chris>On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, John Lapeyre wrote:
chris>
chris>>    Is it possible to build 2.0.x kernels under a reasonable
chris>> potato build environment ?  I tried "make CC=gcc272", but
chris>> I still get failures from the assembler, I think.
chris>
chris>Erm, yeah, I had no problems as I remember.  Just apply the
chris>patches mentioned at <http://egcs.cygnus.com/faq.html/#linuxkernel>,
chris>and you should be fine.
   The link to suse doesn't work at the moment, but I'll give it a try.
  The blurb at cygnus does not look encouraging.  I think it is claiming
that I have to "to change asm constructs" at various unspecified places
in the source.

chris> Alternatively (it *should* work if
chris>binutils is sane, and you're pointing at the right gcc),
chris>post the question to one of the egcs lists, and you should
chris>get a quick response.
    What should work? gcc272 ?  I have tried it on two current potato
machines. building with CC=gcc272 fails to build both 2.0.x and 2.2.x
kernels.  Building with the default compiler (egcs 2.95) will only build
2.2.x kernels.  The kernel mailing list still claims that I should
build with 2.7.2 before sending a bug report about my corrupted fs.
I have an old 2.0.36 kernel, but I need to compile a module for a driver.
I think that given the number of instability reports regarding 2.2.x
kernels it might be nice to be able to compile 2.0.x somewhat easily.
Am I being obtuse, or are things pretty fucked up regarding kernels and
compilers ?
	Thanks for the link , btw.

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>