Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 05:17:11PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Again, for the, what, 20th time now, it deserves a top level directory
> based on what reasoning?  None.

Argh, I'm such a fool.  [I checked my email again.]

As it happens, I already pointed you at the answer to that question,
you were just too lazy to take the hint.  So [me being a fool], here's
a quote (the rationale) from http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-3.8.html:

   The use of /opt for add-on software is a well-established practice in
   the UNIX community. The System V Application Binary Interface [AT&T
   1990], based on the System V Interface Definition (Third Edition),
   provides for an /opt structure very similar to the one defined here.

   The Intel Binary Compatibility Standard v. 2 (iBCS2) also provides
   a similar structure for /opt.

   Generally, all data required to support a package on a system should be
   present within /opt/<package>, including files intended to be copied
   into /etc/opt/<package> and /var/opt/<package> as well as reserved
   directories in /opt.

[So your claim is that the only thing you object to about /opt is that
it's in the root directory?  Wait, don't answer that.  I mean, you can
if you want, but if that's not what your objection is, I'm still in the
dark about what you want to fix.]

--
Raul