Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: ...])

Tuesday, September 14, 1999, 3:29:52 PM, Raul wrote:
> I'm not saying you're too dense to figure this out on your own, but:
> /opt/ is for add on software packages, and /usr/local/ is less structured.

    Again, for the, what, 20th time now, it deserves a top level directory
based on what reasoning?  None.  It is software, install it where other
software is installed, /usr.  Most of it is local to the particular machine by
the system admin, /usr/local.  If not, /usr/opt.  NOT /opt.  No more than
/ftp, /www, /nfs, etc.