Re: Compare two 'available' files?

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Thomas Schoepf wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>
> > APT will do this for packages that you already have installed (that is, it
>
> Yeah, I know. But it's not exactly what I want. I have a few slink
> machines around, each with a quite unique configuration. So I want a
> listing of packages that are new in 2.1r3 (not only new with respect to a
> specific machine)... and I'm also curious about which packages changed
> between releases.
>
> I guess it's time to practise Perl a little bit again...

I have written something that might at least help you. It is actually some
kind of search engine for /var/lib/dpkg/available and can recognize and
list all new packages (new between consecutive runs of a script that
builds a "cache" out of available). Perhaps it doesn't serve your needs
right out of the box, but it knows how to parse available correctly and
you could modify the output routines (all Perl).

This is not yet production quality, (but roughly working) so I haven't
tried to package it yet. If you can wait a few days, I'll put things
together in a tar.gz and post the URL to debian-devel.

 Bj"orn Brill <brill@fs.math.uni-frankfurt.de>
Frankfurt am Main, Germany