(In)ability to turn features off in configure scripts

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 10:59:04AM -0700, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> And that's assuming the program you're building has an autoconf setup
> that allows disabling of certain things. Many programs that use
> autoconf just use a test to see if a library exists (like GTK+ or
> GNOME) to see if they should build a certain target or not.

Yep - this is what I am angry about. I am trying to build python-gtk WITHOUT
gtkglarea support for one package and with it for another one. Problem: There
is not way to disable the gtkglarea support if gtkglarea is installed.

Can I file bug reports against packages which install a script to
/usr/share/aclocal not having the ability to switch it off (with something
like --without-gtk)? I know this will not fix our current situation because we
have to rerun automake to get a new configure script, but as time goes by
things will improve.

Comments?
    Torsten