Problem with mkfs (fwd)

Hi,

	My apologies for posting this to debian-devel, but I havent had
anyone respond to this post on debian-user. Also I've debugged the problem
a little at this point, and I think that the questions I have are a little
above the level of debian-user.

	I've traced the problem, below, to the fact that the BLKGETSIZE
ioctl call in getsize.c of the e2fsprogs package fails. This call is
supposed to return the device size - in my case, /dev/hdb5. This is a
logical partition. However, I wrote a test program using the same call to
work on another logical partition, and the call correctly returns the
device size.

	So, the $64M question is : what is so special about my partition
that causes the ioctl to fail? I would like to debug the kernel source to
find out what causes this problem. The catch is that I dont have a clue as
to where in the kernel the relevant code would be. I've looked at
/usr/src/linux/fs/ioctl.c and fs/ext2/ioctl.c and neither seem to be
handling the BLKGETSIZE request.

	Help!

Jor-el

Your csh still thinks true is false.  Write to your vendor today and tell
them that next year Configure ought to "rm /bin/csh" unless they fix their
blasted shell. :-)   -- Larry Wall in Configure from the perl distribution