Setup API, The next step (Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal)
There does not seem to be any objections to the initial proposal of
doing a setup API and perhaps rethinking how we do an install.
Would it be possible to come to a consensus on this and decide if
it's worth pursuing as a joint project together?
Here's an idea for a time table.
1.For Potato i386 we work together support an X install and the new
setup API system. Perhaps a joint GTK based install GUI if it would
help move this forward.
2.Other platforms would fall into place as they become ready. They then
could be released as updates or we wait till the next release after
3.We help with the dselect replacement, perhaps starting with work based
If everyone agrees it would be necessary that all essential sub-system
developers communicate that they are ready and will be able to help.
These are for example the:
dselect and apt etc.
We here at Corel can and will put a lot of our resources into developing
My hope is that we can work together to help Debian also benefit from
By keeping it flexible in its design we should be able to make it fit
into each our own visions of how it behaves and looks.
This is now up to you the Debian developers to decide if it's ago.