Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

On Jan 27, 1999, Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com> wrote:

> Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>> rpath is broken.  You said as much yourself.  rpath is broken because it
>> *overrides* all other sorts of library searching.

> I think people here do not know about $ORIGIN.  This allows to define
> relative rpaths.  E.g., a package with a program foo and a library
> libbar.so where foo is installed in $PATH/bin and libbar.so is defined
> in $PATH/lib should use

> 	-rpath \$ORIGIN/../lib

> The $ORIGIN is defined relative to the location of the object
> containing the reference.

This is a great feature, but I think it is hardly usable by libtool,
since, in order to use it, libtool would have to know at program link
time where the program is going to be installed (it currently doesn't
need this information), and it would have to check whether the libtool
libraries that the program is linked with are going to be installed in
paths that are easily accessible via \$ORIGIN relative pathnames, and
that no soft-linking (say, /bin -> /usr/bin but not /lib -> /usr/lib)
is going to break it, and probably many other potential problems that
I can't foresee.

But I agree, it's a nice feature, and we may be able to adopt it in
the future, on platforms that support it.

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}