Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> rpath is broken.  You said as much yourself.  rpath is broken because it
> *overrides* all other sorts of library searching.

I think people here do not know about $ORIGIN.  This allows to define
relative rpaths.  E.g., a package with a program foo and a library
libbar.so where foo is installed in $PATH/bin and libbar.so is defined
in $PATH/lib should use

	-rpath \$ORIGIN/../lib

The $ORIGIN is defined relative to the location of the object
containing the reference.

This is available in Solaris 7 (maybe 2.6?) and Linux w/ glibc 2.1.