Re: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/ may not be conffile ?

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 01:39:59PM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> Policy states:
>
>      *Application defaults* files have to be installed in the directory
>      `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/'. They are considered as part of the
>      program code. Thus, they should not be modified and should not be
>      tagged as *conffile*. If the local system administrator wants to
>      customise X applications globally, the file `/etc/X11/Xresources'
>      should be used.
>
> Seems to me that /etc/X11/Xresources could become a mess of stuff.  If the
> app-defaults file were a conffile, then if it changed in a new release of
> the package users who made changes would be warned.  As it is, a user who
> made change has to check this by hand (how?) at every upgrade.
> Hmmm... Reminds me of slackware.

app-defaults and Xresources files are handled differently.  Only local
clients see the settings in appt-defaults.  Xresources are seen by all
clients.

Xresources won't become a mess because in the next release of X it will
become a directory.  packages that use X resources should put a file in
that directory, for example:

/etc/X11/Xresources/xbase
/etc/X11/Xresources/xterm

These files should be conffiles.  Packages that don't need to specify any
resources by default here should still create the file, I think.  There
will be examples in the next X release.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |
Purdue University                   |              It tastes good.