Re: intent to package some perl/dbi/postgress stuff

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> wnpp@debian.org wrote:
> >
> > "Craig" == Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
> >
> > Craig> this is to announce my intention to package the following:
> >
> > Craig> libperl-dbd-pg 0.73 postgresql DBI driver for perl.  DBD::Pg
> >
> > For the record, there was a stated intent to package libdbd-pg-perl on
> > Tom Lear (tom@trap.mountain-view.ca.us) on August 2.

an 'intention to package' should be followed up within a reasonable time
by an actual package.

it's not a difficult package to make...just hack the INC path in
Makefile.PL and it builds cleanly.  (i think i had to add
"-I$Config{installarchlib}/auto/DBI")

i am far from expert at debian packaging (especially with all the new
debhelper stuff), but it took me only a few hours. a complete newbie
might take a few days.

nearly two months is much longer than a 'reasonable time'. wnpp
shouldn't be allowed to become a "reservation system" for people who
*might* want to package something some day.....and certainly not at the
expense of packages which have been built and tested.

i originally built my own postgres DBD module *because* several people had
stated that they were going to package it soon, but that package never
appeared. so i built it in /usr/local, expecting that i'd soon replace it
with a real debian package. if it wasn't for this WNPP reservation effect,
i would have built a package instead and released it, and debian would
have had a postgres DBI module over 6 months ago.

> Doh.  In that case there are four people wanting to package it.

i don't want to package it. i just did it because i needed it. and now i
am offering to share the results of my labour.

> I have received a - not working - binary and a - working - source
> package from Michel Onstein <promera@debian.org>.  I don't think
> it was already locked when I talked to him since I'm in the urgent
> need of it and should have noticed this.
>
> Anyway, please cordinate.

i have a working binary package. if anyone would like to take it over,
they are welcome to it (i want it to be part of debian, but don't really
have the time to maintain the package properly).

craig

--
craig sanders