Re: modutils stops me dead:)

Colin Telmer <telmerco@telmer.com> writes:

> On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Colin Telmer wrote:

> > I just recently did an upgrade an hour ago (last one was a week ago) which
> > installed a new version of modutils (new upstream release). After a
> > unfortunate necessary reboot (had to momentarily lapse to a Windoze user),
> > X hung up and went into loop when I rebooted (I run xdm). On further
> > investigation, I found that the module for my psmouse was not being loaded
> > and then discovered that when /etc/init.d/modutils called
> > /etc/init.d/kerneld to run, it exited silently due to

> > test -f /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe || exit 0

This should be "&&".  It's a bug in the script.

But, I just synced with ftp1.us.debian.org, and /etc/init.d/kerneld
reads:

if [ -f /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe ]; then
        echo "Kernel has kmod, kerneld not needed"
        exit 0
fi

Are you sure you have the /etc/init.d/kerneld that came with the
package?  (I have modutils 2.1.121-1.)

> > /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe doesn't exist on my machine. Should it? It
> > didn't before IIRC, is this a new thing? The lines from
> > /etc/init.d/modutils seems to me to say if this file doesn't exist, start
> > kerneld, but if this file doesn't exist, /etc/init.d/kerneld.

/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe exists on recent 2.1.x kernels which don't
need a user level "kerneld".

/etc/init.d/modutils say (in a rather backwards way) if it doesn't
exist, and if /sbin/kerneld exists, then run /etc/init.d/kerneld.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu