Re: package splits

Joey wrote:
>James R. Van Zandt wrote:
>> I think we need to provide some automatic way to handle package
>> splits.

>But anyway, recommends is what you're looking for.  The main package
>might want to recommend the others so if somebody upgrades dselect
>will present a list of them.

I believe I have found 35 package splits.  Quite a few do *not*
"recommend" the new packages.  The most important is xbase, which
apparently split into 17 packages.  At present it has no "Depends" or
"Recommends" line, but it does have this "Suggest" line:

 Suggests: xlib6g, xbase-clients, twm, xmodmap, xterm, xserver-common,
 xserver-vga16 | xserver, xf86setup, xfonts-base, xfonts-100dpi,
 xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-scalable

Here are the 17 packages, where the ones with stars are not mentioned
in the above "suggests" line:

    *  mail/xmh
    *  x11/rstart
    *  x11/rstartd
      x11/twm
      x11/xbase
    *  x11/xbase-clients
    *  x11/xdm
    *  x11/xext
      x11/xf86setup
    *  x11/xfs
    *  x11/xlib6g
    *  x11/xlib6g-dev
      x11/xmodmap
    *  x11/xproxy
      x11/xserver-common
    *  x11/xsm
      x11/xterm

Is this good enough, or should some be added to "suggests", or
upgraded to "recommends"?  (I don't remember exactly what these imply
at upgrade time, and I can't find documentation on it beyond the
little in the FAQ.)

Is there general agreement that I should file "critical" bugs on
packages that do not at least "recommend" the new packages, as
suggested by Santiago Vila?

			- Jim Van Zandt