Re: No benefit for running sash as root shell?

Previously Jules Bean wrote:
> Not much there on statically linked files at all.  Anyone care to point me
> to a discussion on this?

I can't find it anymore, although I'm sure it is somewhere. Basically
it comes down to this: compiling everything static makes the /sbin tree
much bigger, and thus more likely to get hit by corruption. If you use
dynamically linked programs everything is smaller and thus reducing
the risk of things getting corrupted. But on the downside if libc is
corrupted you still loose.

Either way it's a tradeoff. Our current system has been working for years
and I don't see any need to chance it.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl