Re: Bugs ?

Martin Schulze wrote:
> I need to correct myself.  I haven't noticed that it's /bin/something.
> This can indeed lead into empty links that should be avoided.  I think
> the best would be to move /bin/csh  to /usr/bin/csh for this purpose.
> Since no boot or system scripts should be written in C-Sh this should
> not harm other packages.

It will, however, break every script that starts with "#!/bin/csh".
It will also break the FHS:

     Since the de-facto standard location of the C-shell is /bin/csh, if
     and only if a C-shell or equivalent (such as tcsh) is available on
     the system, it should be available by the name /bin/csh.  /bin/csh
     may be a symbolic link to /bin/tcsh or /usr/bin/tcsh.

Even Debian policy says /bin/csh:

     If an upstream package comes with csh
     scripts then you must make sure that they start with `#!/bin/csh' and
     make your package depend on the c-shell virtual package.

If it is really important to avoid dangling links before /usr is mounted,
then move tcsh and csh to /bin and set the links the other way.

Richard Braakman