Shadow password policy

Hi,

I am packaging a program that uses directly accesses the password file.
It has a compile time option to determine if it should be using shadow
passwords or not.

My question is:  Can I produce a package that only supports shadow
passwords, or will I need to modify the code to autodetect if shadow
passwords are on or not.

I'd prefer the former option, but if there is an easy way to do the second
I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks,

Chris

Reply with subject 'key' for PGP public key.  KeyID A9E087D5