Re: mirroring policy

> Lets ask Andrew to add CHAP like authentication - that will clear my
> complaints. I don't like the idea of IP based authentication, it is weak
> and it is a pain to admin.

Too late --- he's already added it :-)

In the /etc/rsyncd.conf file on the target, you need something like this:

  [debian-push]
     path = /mirror/debian
     comment = Debian Push Mirror Access (requires authentication)
     auth users = debiansama
     gid = debmirror
     read only = false
     secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.debian.secrets

with a /etc/rsyncd.debian.secrets something like:

       debiansama:masterpassword

Then on master, you would run something like:

RSYNC_PASSWORD=masterpassword \
 rsync -av --delete /debian2/debian/ debiansama@target.host.com::debian-push/

Obviously, having the passwords in the script is a security problem, but
anyone with root access to master is probably going to be able to get round
any other approach.

Cheers, Phil.