Re: VI reasons (was Re: Base Set: Suggested additions & removals.)

> At a client's place with a broken SunOS 4 box? Need to fix the /usr
> partition and password file.  Chances are are you'll have to use vi.
> Similarly, BSD, SCO, etc, etc...

maybe you should learn edlin, it's the only editor available on computers
running msdos 2.11.

or how to use vms, maybe one day ...

stop this. if you ever have to work with xxxx, then you cna learn it.
but if you want to install debian gnu/linux, you don't want to learn how to
use sco/sunos/msdos 2.11/vms/whatever. you want a debian gnu/linux system.

> Then, by the same token, every debian system should have a vi-compatible
> editor so that you know if you go around to a client's place with a broken
> machine, down to the root partition and you have to save the database,
> that vi is around.

max compatibilities ?
new linux installations are done by
a few people familiar with unix
a few people familiar with mac
a few people familiar with dos
a few people who never used a computer
very many people familiar with win95

so we should copy "notepad" ?

joe has enought help text, so anyone can do a "emergency edit session".
and for everything else, you can install your own editor.

hey: whenever i have to work at a linux machine, i fix it to the point where i
can install vim, and then i can use vim, my favorite editor.

but vim is too big, and i don't force people unfamliar with vi to use vim.

joe - hey for the worst case everyone can use it.

i can't say that about vi or emacs.

and ae is ugly ugly ugly ugly ugly.

> So on any future base system there should exist a '/bin/vi' (possibly a
> symlink) which invokes some binary (I don't mind which) in some kind of
> mode which emulates vi.

and the next guy will force us to install /bin/edlin ?

andreas