Re: VI reasons (was Re: Base Set: Suggested additions & removals.)

Dale Scheetz writes:
> To be able to do an install with the rescue disk the space priorities
> don't allow anything but ae in that environment. When you can get vi's
> binary size down to the footprint of ae, I will be glad to replace it.
> Until then all talk of superior usability are nothing but talk. It will
> not fit.

When I first started using Debian I had been using vi for many years, but
had never heard of ae.  Consequently, it was some time before I found out
that there was any editor at all on the rescue disk.

Any editor with any keybindings is fine on the rescue disk, as long as it
starts up when the user types vi.  It probably also should answer to 'ed',
'edit', 'editor', and as many other editor names as we can think of.  Put
in a splash screen explaining the situation and the user will thank you for
the opportunity not to fix config files with cat and grep.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)