Kernel source patch packages?

Hi,

I'm not a Debian developer (yet) but I have a suggestion concerning
distributing kernel source updates.  Perhaps this is wishful thinking but
is it possible to make deselect download a patch, or patches, to a kernel
source instead of downloading the entire 7MB package every time an update
is available?  I realize this presents some synchronization problems for
users who wait a few builds before actually upgrading/updating their
packages, but it seems like it would really cut down on the time it takes
to do an update, especially for those with slow machines.

Perhaps such a way of updating packages through a patch other then the
entire ditribution/package could be used for other packages, too.  For
example, everytime a new build is available (e.g. from "x-1" to "x-2")
then an update patch could be distributed and dselect/deity/whatever
could use the patch to do the update.  In cases where the actual version
of the package has changed or in cases where the patch would just be too
large then the full package, instead of a patch package, could be used.

I know that this probably isn't worth the potential trouble or
complications but it seemed like an idea with some merit.

Thanks,
-Ossama

Ossama Othman <othman@astrosun.tn.cornell.edu>