Re: man 2 intro - SVID (fwd)

--On Mon, Apr 27, 1998 8:02 pm +0300 "Liran Zvibel" <liranz@math.tau.ac.il>
wrote:

> Hello,
> I have to hand in a CS (OS) exercise that uses the SYS V sys. calls.
> I tried the intro manpage that says:
>

>        SVID   System V Interface Definition, as described in "The
>               System  V  Interface  Definition,  Fourth Edition",
>               available   at   ftp://ftp.fpk.novell.com/pub/unix-
>               standards/svid in Postscript files.
>
> this domain doesn't seem to exist...
> I think that the maintainer of the manpages should be notified.

That would be a bug.  File a bug report.  Although it has to be said, it
doesn't sound like a very important one :)

> BTW: At my Uni. I tried intro(2) and it was MUCH more informative (It is
> SunOS).

Lucky SunOS.  Anything actually interesting there?  If so, you could file a
wishlist bug report, or you could try putting into man format yourself the
things you think are appropriate to Debian's intro(2).  Be careful - that
stuff is almost certainly copyright Sun...

> BTW3: What do I have to know to contribute to Debian? I know C, C++ (I
> know Pascal, Scheme and Java too, but I don't think those will be
> needed...). What documentation should I read?

Programming languages aren't that useful for general project contributions -
although they're certainly generally useful.  Perl will stand you well -
lots of odd-end scripts are written it.  Bash scripting knowledge would
probably be even more useful.

In terms of what you should read, that depends how you want to help.  If you
feel debian is missing some useful software that you happen to know exists,
then you could read the packaging manuals and package it.  Browse around the
web site, looking for wishlists.  At this time of imminent release of hamm,
if you're a competent coder, you could have a look at the outstanding bugs,
and fix some.  Alternatively, we are missing a fair few man-pages, so if
you're good with the -man macros, you could write some man-pages.

Cheers,

Jules Bean

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |