Re: Constitution - formal proposal (v0.7) (comments)

Ian Jackson - Debian Project Leader wrote:
> Please see
>  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/debian-organisation-0.7.html
>  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/debian-organisation-formal.html
>  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/debian-organisation.html
> for the latest draft constitution.

All three looked the same to me; I hope they were :-)

I had trouble understanding the second paragraph of section 1:

   This document describes the organisational structure for formal
   decisionmaking in the Project. It does not describe the goals of the
   Project or how it achieves them, or contain any specific nontechnical
   policies not directly related to the decisionmaking process.

There were too many negations in that last sentence.  I suggest to
drop the words "specific nontechnical" (it doesn't contain any
technical policies either, so that's ok), and replace "not
directly related" with "other than those directly related".

I also have a more substantive comment.  The Constitution seems to
contain no provision for a developer to leave the Project, other than
by expulsion.  I think that s.3.2 should state that a developer may
leave the Project at any time, by stating so publicly or by informing
the Project Secretary (who will presumably make a public statement).

I assumed that the Project Secretary would keep the authoritative list
of Debian developers, but s.7.1 makes no mention of that.  Perhaps it
should?  Determining the current set of developers is a non-trivial
task.

In addition, I am still not sure about the role of SPI.  s.9.2 says
"SPI have made the following undertakings" and then gives a list.  Is
this currently true?  I think it should be true before a vote is
called, at least.

The introduction to s.9 also says "Debian's developers are currently
members of SPI by virtue of their status as developers".  Is this
true?  It would seem to depend on SPI's charter, not Debian's, and we
don't have that.

Richard Braakman