Re: policy about Qmail's Maildir support?

On Wed, Apr 08, 1998 at 09:43:08AM +0300, Amos Shapira wrote:
> Looking for support for Qmail's maildir format in Debian packages, I came
> up with empty hands.

Look more closely. Mutt handles maildir.

> Would it be possible to add this to the debian policy to have Maildir
> support in packages like mailx, pine and imapd?

AFAIK there is no DFSG-free MTA that supports Maildir. Therefore I don't
think that Maildir support should be obligatory via Debian policy.

I think we should encourage maintainers to add Maildir support to
mail-related packages, but this should be a suggestion, not an obligation
under Debian policy.

> Is there another mechanism to make debian support this format?

I vaguely recall that procmail has some support for it; if that's the case,
I think it should be fairly easy to have a "formail" script to convert to
mbox or mh format; that could serve as a temporary form of support.

Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking