Re: Guile question: What was bug #14213???

    Jim> [1 <text/plain; US-ASCII (7bit)>]
    Jim> karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

    >> The changelog lists only a bug number, with no description of
    >> what the bugs were.  They are no longer in the bug tracking
    >> system.

    Jim> You are hitting on one of my pet peeves - we should have a
    Jim> perpetual bug archive for closed bugs.

 It would take a lot of disk space, I think.  It would have to be
 indexed, compressed, and archived somehow.  I guess CD-ROM would
 work.  How long before we'd need a jukebox? :-)

<offtopic>
 I'm curious about that sort of thing...  I was thinking about how
 could we scan and make Lectern or pdf documents out of all the books
 at the public library, put them on CD, and serve them over the
 network via download, LBX or Java applet displayer?  It's a common
 dream for many of us, I imagine.
</offtopic>

    >> Can you explain why you couldn't compile with threads or
    >> dynamic linking?

    Jim> It was a co-ordination issue with the Gnome package - I don't
    Jim> think Gnome would compile when threads were included.  I
    Jim> didn't know what to do to make it work (when using guile) -
    Jim> and there is no documentation.

 Ok.  I will try and find the disk space for GNOME too, and see if I
 can compile everything.  I suspect it will take a year or more for me
 to understand the programs...  so don't expect a miracle.

    Jim> I think thread support and dynamic-linking in 1.2 are
    Jim> experimental - so I think it's fair to leave it out.
    Jim> Everything seems to work when those are left out.

 I tried to compile it `--with-threads=pthreads', but it fails.  I
 found an `#ifdef 0' around the include of the pthreads code header.
 It would be really neat to have native threads, wouldn't it?  I've
 several books lined up on the shelf that discuss threading and
 suchlike.  Sometime in the next six months to a year or so, I'll have
 read them and will try and grok the threading codes.  Yous know how
 that goes.  I can't tell how far away that mountain is or what I'll
 find on the way until I walk all the way there once.

    Jim> I assume Guile 1.3 will be a big improvement.

 I've no way to know at this point.

    >> I'm putting together a guile-core snapshot package, perhaps for
    >> release if I feel like I have it under control.  It will come
    >> with the guile-scsh too, I hope.  That should be good for
    >> gnome. :-)

    Jim> Cool.  Say, if you are going to to do that, do you want to
    Jim> take over the guile package?  You can have it, as there
    Jim> should only be one guile maintainer, IMHO.

 I don't want to be a usurper...  but don't mind taking a package off
 your hands to lighten the load a little bit, if you'd like that.  Are
 you useing CVS?  Should I make 2 packages, one of 1.2 and another of
 the snapshots?  Hmmm.  I will try and investigate further on my own;
 after I CVS a fresh set of GNOME trees to awe me and boggle myself
 with.

 I need today to find the disk space, then figure out what gnome trees
 exist and which ones to get.

    >> I've Cc'd debian-devel to show others what can happen when we
    >> don't put proper detail into the changelogs.  The bug number
    >> alone is no good; the tracking system purges them after a
    >> period of time, so the only record is in the changelog or CVS
    >> logs (which are more difficult for others to get at,
    >> obviously.)

    Jim> I don't think the changelog is the place to give full-blown
    Jim> bug descriptions.  They can be very hard to describe at
    Jim> times.  A little hint as to what the bug was in this place
    Jim> would have been nice - but I'm not sure I could have
    Jim> described what the bug was in under ten lines of description.

 We need to address this somehow.  Anybody got an good Ideas?

    >> karlheg, who aspires to understand the implementation of Scheme
    >> someday.

    Jim> Read the Wizard book (SICP).  :-)

 I have it; I'm in chapter 2.  I've also been working through `Scheme
 and the Art of Programming', the first few chapters of `Lisp in Small
 Peices', every book on Lisp at the library, and several others I
 own...  I've got all the stuff from the scheme-repository too, and am
 partway through the first of them.  There's a lot to read, and that's
 a good thing.

 I've begun a bibliography, it's hidden on my WWW site if anyone wants
 to look at it.  I've not read most of them, as of today.

--
mailto:karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom)
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg