Re: xcompat and broken library links

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> What I found was the the low level .so link was broken for the following
> libraries:
> 	libXaw
> 	libX11
> 	libXext
> 	libXtst
> All of these so links pointed to the old 6.0 libraries, while the current
> 6.1 libs were the only thing available.

Do you have the xlib6-dev package installed or the old xdevel package?
If you have 6.1 libraries, it should be the former.

> Actually these links should
> probably point to the intermediate .so.6 link.

I said many times before that this is a *bad* idea.  We now have
someone actively working on symbol versioning for ELF libraries.  When
this is in place, it will be *extremely* important that the .so
symlinks point to correct library (i.e. the one that corresponds to
the header files that are installed.

David