Re: Selection-time configuration, delayed configuration, &c

On Jan 22, ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Ian Jackson) wrote:
> Why do we want selection-time configuration ?
>
> (NB: this is not a rhetorical question.)
>
> It seems to me that this has been much-touted, but isn't actually all
> that useful.

Because it would be nice to be able to answer all of the questions at
once, and then go away while dpkg grinds through, rather than having to
sit there and answer questions strewn throughtout the install process. Also,
I'm guessing that many expect "transferable" configurations to fall out
of this --> duplicate config on many machines, etc. Additionally, it
should reduce downtime on the various daemons that a stopped during
the upgrade process.

Of course, there are other ways to achieve transfereable configurations,
and I think doing the config step of the install ASAP, in dependency
order, is a better solution to the downtime problem.

As far as getting the config info from the package, I would suggest
having the config script/info as a seperate file, which gets put
in a Config.gz file (like a Package.gz file). Remember most packages
don't need an interactive configuration, so this file won't necessarily
grow too huge.

(The above paragraph isn't all that clear...I'll try to expand in a later
post, but I don't have time right now :-().

Steve Greenland

--
The Mole - I think, therefore I scream

			 "You are WRONG, you ol' brass-breasted fascist poop!"
[Bloom County]