Re: FYI: H.J. Lu on debian

'Michael Meskes wrote:'

>I don't know if we are too late. But I'm sure we should hurry. IMO the ELF
>distribution must go out ASAP. Where are the problems? If it's just
>recompiling packages we shoudl be able to do that in a matter of days. Does
>anyone know which packages need to be converted? In particulare I wonder if
>there is a maintainer who'd like me (or someone else who's using an ELF
>system) to recompile his package.

I don't know about rushing.  Things are progressing quite well if a
little slow.  One problem is that our source packages are often
difficult to pass on.  [By this I mean that there is no mechanism to
rebuild from sources by just search and replace on a few key words.]  I
wonder if that is the reason the whole tex series is still a.out.  And
there are a bunch of X apps that need work.  But the basic system is
pretty much ELF already.  Just a few more (well known) glitches to iron
out.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS
cjf@netaxs.com                     |    (Philadelphia Area Computer Society)