Re: Which files in /usr/sbin?

Fernando Alegre writes:
>Thanks to Ian Jackson for clarifying the "arbitrator" issue. It seems
>that, after all, there is indeed an arbitrator: Ian Murdock
>
>Regarding the location of /usr/sbin/zdump, I think it is included mainly
>for helping sysadmins manage the /usr/lib/zoneinfo files. There are
>better ways to find out in which timezone you live: looking out the
>window, listening to the radio or with the /bin/date command.

Not the first two - think remote login.

I agree with Raul: the FSSTND is very clear on this subject:

    Deciding what things go in sbin directories is simple: If a user
    will need to run it, then it should go somewhere else.  If it will
    only be run by system administrators or as root from system
    management scripts, then it should go in /sbin (or in /usr/sbin or
    /usr/local/sbin if the item is not vital to system operation).

    Files such as chfn which users only occasionally use should still
    be placed in /usr/bin.  ping, although it is absolutely necessary
    for root (network recovery and diagnosis) is often used by users
    and should live in /bin for that reason.

    Ordinary users should not have to place any of the sbin
    directories in their path.

If a non-administrative user can get any useful results from running
foo then foo should not be in /sbin or /usr/sbin.  It's very simple to
test for that.

--
Richard Kettlewell  richard@uk.geeks.org  http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/