Re: elf, a.out and debian 1.*

William Gribble:
   OK, so where are the problems that we're trying to isolate?  I

I dunno, why isn't 1.1 ready yet?  Why isn't it trivial to upgrade
from 0.93R6?

[Apologies if my doubts and uncertainties instill fear -- they
shouldn't, but...]

   > (2) ELF is not yet as capable as a.out at sustaining upgrades
   > without losing compatability with old code.  This is being worked
   > on and should be available "Real Soon Now".  It's not something
   > we can completely rely on this month.

   I can't parse this.  What is ``compatibility with old code'' in this
   context?

It means major version changes for what ought to be minor version
changes.  It means compatibility with binaries written some time ago
may require lots of .so libraries rather than just a couple sets.

--
Raul