bits from the DPL: meetings, derivatives, assets, sponsoring,...

Hello world, here is another update on the whereabouts of the DPL.

Communication
=============

I've attended LinuxTag and delivered a talk at the wonderful mini
DebConf organized there. Slides of my talk are available [1], as well as
a nice article about it on LWN [2] and another one on the German Linux
Magazin [3].

  [1] http://git.upsilon.cc/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=talks/20100610-minidebconf-berlin.git
  [2] http://lwn.net/Articles/391562/  (en, already unembargoed)
  [3] http://www.linux-magazin.de/NEWS/Linuxtag-2010-DPL-Zacchiroli-will-Barrieren-abbauen (de)

Upon request, I've been releasing some more interviews:

- for the Italian Linux Magazine [4], paper version only (it)
- another (quite funny) one to an Italian blogger [5] (it)
- @LinuxTag: a video interview for the German Linux Magazin [6] (en)
- @LinuxTag: an audio interview for TuxRadio [7] (en)

  [4] http://www.edmaster.it/index.php?p=prodotti&sez=magazine&cat=3&prod=5
  [5] http://programmatorepercaso.blogspot.com/2010/06/il-didietro-di-debian.html
  [6] http://www.linux-magazin.de/NEWS/Video-Stefano-Zacchirolli-Debian-Projektleiter
  [7] http://blog.radiotux.de/2010/06/12/lt10-stefano-zacchiroli-debian/

Meetings
--------

On behalf of Debian, I've attended a few interesting meetings in the
past month:
- an European Commission meeting on how EU-funded research projects can
  better interact with FLOSS communities [8]
- a meeting with EDF [9] which is heavily using Debian for scientific
  computing [10]
- a meeting with French "Gendarmerie" [11] that wanted to present their
  experiences in choosing Debian and derivatives within the French
  public administration

  [8] http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/06/Debian_consultancy_for_the_European_Framework_Programme/
  [9] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89lectricit%C3%A9_de_France
  [10] http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/05/Debian-based_scientific_computing_at_EDF/
  [11] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Gendarmerie

Derivatives
===========

Derivatives Front Desk, which is now up and running [12,13,14].

  [12] http://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk
  [13] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2010/06/msg00056.html
  [14] http://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/

A proper announcement for all derivatives to join the list is being
prepared on -publicity; in the mean time you might want to advertise the
<derivatives@debian.org> contact point and/or the mailing list to fellow
developers of derivative distribution. You are also welcome to join the
mailing list if you would like to help derivatives in contributing back
their work to Debian.

Assets
======

The Debian auditor has posted the first report on the Debian cash flow
for 2010 [21]. While the form of the reports is still in flux and might
change in the future, we expect the reports to stay and ease the access
to the information on how Debian uses the money coming from donations.

Given that Debian money are held by several organizations around the
world, the reports can only be as complete as the organizations report
to the auditor. If you are a member of one such organization you can
help Debian in being more transparent by asking you organization to
provide timely and accurate information to the auditor [22].

  [21] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2010/06/msg00079.html
  [22] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Auditor

Miscellanea
===========

DD certification
----------------

As introduced by the former DPL, it is now possible for Debian
Developers to get a certificate of their DD status. Check the info [15]
on how to get one if you need it for your work or the like.

  [15] http://wiki.debian.org/DDCertificate

-private declassification
-------------------------

I've called for help [17] to implement the GR [18] on the
declassification of debian-private@lists.d.o archives. The responses to
that have been insufficient to form a team thus far [19] so for the
moment we've just documented the status quo on the vote page and in the
wiki [20]. In response of last discussions on the topic, I've got some
more volunteers and the situation might evolve soon.

  [17] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2010/05/msg00105.html
  [18] http://www.debian.org/vote/2005/vote_002
  [19] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2010/06/msg00068.html
  [20] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPrivateDeclassification

Meeting Sponsoring Guidelines
-----------------------------

I've been replying to various requests of sponsoring to attend and/or
organize Debian-related meetings (conferences, BSPs, sprints, etc.).  I
welcome all such initiatives and encourage all developers to organize
similar events. Still, when Debian money is used, transparency and
communications are mandatory. After repeating myself inquiry after
inquiry, I've posted an RFC [23] in view of some forthcoming "Debian
Meeting Sponsoring Guidelines".

  [23] http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/06/debian_meeting_guidelines_RFC/

DebConf Newbies
---------------

The DebConf Newbies initiative has come to a conclusion disclosing [24]
the names of the "newbies" which will join most of us at DebConf10.
Sponsors are still needed to secure travel sponsoring for several others
fellow developers which want to attend the conference. We can all help
by asking our companies or any other Debian-friendly company if they
would like to become sponsors, or simply by encouraging donations to
Debian.

  [24] http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/06/welcome_DebConf_newbies/

wiki.d.o/Teams Redux
--------------------

Documenting Debian is one of the best way of making our project a more
welcoming place. That is why I've been reminding [25] of the Teams page
on the wiki and prodding various people to add an entry there. While I
was at it, I've started amassing some DPL-related resources at [26]. As
it is a wiki, everyone can help!

  [25] http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/05/document_your_team_-_redux/
  [26] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL

Debian Squeeze Artwork Contest
------------------------------

In view of the forthcoming Debian Squeeze release, I've advertised [27]
a very nice initiative by Valessio Brito: the Debian Squeeze Artwork
Contest [28], in which any Debian enthusiast skilled in graphic arts can
contribute a graphical theme for Squeeze. You can join the contest or
just advertise it to the right™ people.

  [27] http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/06/debian_squeeze_artwork_contest/
  [28] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopArtworkSqueeze

That's all, folks.
Cheers.

PS for more boring but day-to-day DPL activity info there's
   master:/srv/leader/news/bits-from-the-DPL.txt (and its rotated friends)