Re: all xterms

On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 10:55:34AM +0100, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:
> The disadvantage of the alternative concept over some sensible-xterm
> shell script is, that alternatives are static for all users, while
> sensible-xterm could be used on a per-user basis (with
> x-terminal-emulator as the fall back).

Uh, you can also do this:

PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH

ln -s /usr/bin/X11/my-favorite-terminal-emulator /home/bin/x-terminal-emulator

> I think that every user should have a chance to decide himself what
> terminal emulator he wants to use, especially if some users want to
> show Japanese characters and need kterm for this.  Okay, everybody can
> start a different terminal emulator by hand, but it should especially
> work if the user uses a window manager menu or something like this.

The above suggestion will satisfy your requirements.

> So here's my proposal:
> - Implement the x-terminal-emulator for all terminal emulators.

I agree.

> - Add a script sensible-x-terminal-emulator to the debianutils (where
>   sensible-pager and sensible-editor live) which looks for an
>   environment variable XTERMEMULATOR and if this isn't set, falls back
>   to x-term-emulator.
>
> Is this acceptable?

I find it too byzantine.  I always thought users could implement their own
alternatives by simply taking advantage of their own bin directory and
manipulating their path.

This avoids environment variable clutter and strikes as being much more the
"Unix way" to do things.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    Convictions are more dangerous enemies
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    of truth than lies.