Re: Default language for system

* Goswin Brederlow said:

> > > F1 English  F2 Deutsch  F3 Italiano  F4 <some japanese characters saying japanese>
> > Something like that, but it's better to use a scrollable menu, because you
> > might find yourself out of function keys :))
>
> Scrollbar on a text console? A "F20 more" might be the best one can do
We're talking about dinstall phase. It has menus, it has scrollbars. Also in
normal mode you've got dialog or whiptail.

> there. But I think a system where more than 3 languages will be
> installed should be rarely needed.
Hmm... I think not. If we want to support the international and non-English
community we must provide as many languages as it is possible. That's easily
more than three.

> > already authenticated but before invoking his shell. This file would allow
> > for setting per-user environment variables, per-group ones etc. This would
> > allow for creating a system-level set of envvars and then fine-tuning it for
> > every single user without messing with his homedir:
> >
> > 1. Read /etc/environment
> > 2. Read /etc/security/pam_env.conf
> > 3. Authenticate user
> > 4. Parse /etc/security/pam_user_env.conf
> > 5. Read ~/.lang and set LANG appropriately.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Why use ~/.lang? That should use ~/.enviroment.
No, you don't get my idea. In ~/.environment the user can set whatever
variables s/he wants to, but we need to know and check for correctness a
specific variable LANG. It's much easier to spot the .lang file and be sure
that it contains some language definition than to parse the entire, possibly
long, .environment file. Also, the .lang file means the user actually WANTS
to override the system default. Also the file may be used to detect whether
the language selection utility (scheduled to run the first time user logs
in) has already been ran.

> I want to set the bash to 8 Bit but keep the english error
> messages. So ~/.lang wouldn´t help there.
Why? Your shell, whatever it is, has nothing to do with .lang. That's the
whole point - to become shell independent. You can set your shell to mc if
you want and you'll still get the LANG= you want.

> As to the precautions what gets inserted, no matter what gets inserted
> shouldn´t be a security problem. The only thing the user could do is
Hmm... I'm sure you heard about shell escape sequences exploits :))). It's
better to be safe than sorry.

> getting himself logged out immediatly or screw otherwise screw his
> account.
Or get root acces should any bug in his shell allow it :)

> To do the same you can just modify .login.
No, .login is shell-dependent, the mechanism I described is not.

marek