Re: Default language for system

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> > Please note, this setting will be done if the administrator choise
> > this language in debconf dialog.
>
> I have one question: can the raw Linux console display Polish
> characters (ISO-8859-2?) correctly?

Not exactly. You can see some strange characters. i.e.:

$ echo \
 "Przykład użycia znaków z ogonkami. Nie uniemożliwia to przekazanie treści." \
 | konwert iso2-ascii

"Przyklad uzycia znakow z ogonkami. Nie uniemozliwia to przekazanie tresci."

> And note: /etc/environment affects not only an administrator's
> environment but also all users' environments.

Yes, but remember all my users will use this language and some of them
don't understand English at all.

At this time the administrator and the users have to know English language.
But it isn't true for many people who want to install the Debian distribution.
I saw a few my friends who installed RedHat or SuSE because of translated
install program and default settings like LANG variable.

I'll submit a wishlist for boot-floppy. LANG variable should be set on
first installation.

--

Piotr "Dexter" Roszatycki
mailto:dexter@fnet.pl