Re: An 'ae' testimony

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 11:47:59AM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> I don't want to start a flame-war, so be gentle..
>
> I was just mindlessly (in a tongue-in-cheek way) evangalising Debian on
> a mailing list I'm on, and I got a private response from a SuSE user.
> He had installed Debian from a CD (he didn't say which version, I'm
> afraid) and 'vi fstab' to mount his old partitions.

Yes, this is one of the most infuriating thing with a base debian system, no
true vi.

Every Unix system is distributed with a working vi, and most people know how to
use vi. So finding a non standard editor on the base system is not so nice, and
can cause lots of confusions. and ae is a lot confusing, and don't behave
exactly the sameas you are used, especially in the saving and exciting part of
it, very anoying ,and can make nasty things to your install.

even pure ed would be nicer :)

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER