Re: An 'ae' testimony

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 11:47:59AM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:

> I was just mindlessly (in a tongue-in-cheek way) evangalising Debian on
> a mailing list I'm on, and I got a private response from a SuSE user.
> He had installed Debian from a CD (he didn't say which version, I'm
> afraid) and 'vi fstab' to mount his old partitions.
>
> Then he had attempting to do something which would have worked in vi (he
> didn't give specifics) but doesn't work in 'ae', which resulted in the
> file getting mangled, and saved.
>
> So he switched to SuSE.
>
> I'm aware this isn't a particularly helpful post - I'm not suggesting a
> solution, I don't know what the solution is.  But it makes you think.

i think that the solution is for ae to print the following in inverse
text on the top line of the screen:

   THIS IS NOT VI.  IT ONLY LOOKS SLIGHTLY LIKE IT.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

imo, ae's vi emulation is better than nothing...but can be quite dangerous
if you're not aware of the fact that it isn't vi.

someone (miquel, perhaps) made elvis-tiny a year or two back, and it fit
on the boot disk. would be nice if it could be made to fit again. elvis
isn't as good as vim, but it's much better than ae.

craig

--
craig sanders