Re: Perl 5.005 in potato

On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 08:00:21PM -0700, Jim Lynch wrote:
> Mike Stone said:
> > I'm still convinced that the reason slink's freeze took so long is that
> > some major packages were uploaded just prior to it, because they
> > "needed" to be in. Just like people want to do with perl...
>
> There is a difference in this case: freeze is not in effect, and not
> immenent. If it were, Mike'd have a valid argument: perl-5.005 is -not-
> being snuck in under deadline, because deadline does not presently exist.
>
> I'd love to see perl-5.005 in, personally.

AOL. Nothing wrong with having it done before deadline. The problem comes
when it gets done simply to meet deadline; history dictates that this has
been one of the major causes of release delays for debian.
	Mike is just trying to make the case that a new version of perl
should not influence debian's final freeze date, in the same way that no
other package can... except for necessity, such as libc and kernel versions
for boot-floppies, et al.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

"...Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing..."
	-- Ralph Waldo Emerson