Re: Interactive installation [was Re: Caldera installation...]

"James R. Van Zandt" <jrv@vanzandt.mv.com> writes:

> Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
> >dpkg-question question-ID level default --type parameters
> >
> >dpkg-question knows several types of questions like yes/no, multiple
> >choise,... Also it can decide not to ask the user when the level is to
> >high or allways look into a database first and so on.
>
> I think the "question-ID" should be the actual question text, for at
> least two reasons:
>
>  - If you try to use a number, then you will have a lot of trouble
>    trying to manage numbers - keeping them unique, and maintaining the
>    correspondence with the question text.
>
>  - Using the question text will make it easy to internationalize using
>    gettext.
>
> I suggest you look at the gettext documentation, in support of both
> points.
>
> 			- Jim Van Zandt

But you also have a big problem storing them. The question-ID must be
a vaild shell variable name. Also it must start with the package name
and an underscore, e.g. QVWM_RESTART_ON_FAILURE. From the ID the
interface knows what configfile to look in and everything behind the
package name is the name used in the configfile itself, e.g.

> cat QVWM.config
RESTART_ON_FAILURE="True"

The question-ID must only be unique within a package, since it
contains the package name at the front. Thats easy to handle, since
its neccessary anyway.

Im also aware of the need of language support, and looking up the text
given in the question in a translation file via gettext or other tools
is easy. But it probably shoudnt use the question-id for lookup, but
could.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin