cardmgr and PCMCIA network card

Hello!

I just upgraded my notebook from hamm to slink and noticed that there
seems to be still some strange behaviour with PCMCIA network cards.
The symptom is that the network isn't initialised correctly. This was
solved by moving the PCMCIA scripts in /etc/rc?.d/ somewhere before the
network startup scripts. But there still remained another problem. The
cardmgr couldn't stop the network when the card was removed and so
couldn't initialise it again when the card was inserted again. When
I stopped the network manually (ifconfig eth0 down) the card could
be removed correctly. Looking at /etc/pcmcia/network showed that it
contained commands already or also executed in /etc/init.d/network .
So I made my own taylor-made /etc/pcmcia/network script which contained
something like this:
#starting the network
ifconfig eth0 up
/etc/init.d/network
#stopping the network
ifconfig eth0 down

This now works fine. Is this a known problem or may I have produced this
bug by myself?

Christoph

--
* Christoph Baumann                                          *
* cbauman1@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de                          *