apt-dialog - an interface to apt using 'dialog'

hey!

after using apt-get for a while, I decided to try gnome-apt.. I liked the
features of that.. I'd just recently found out about apt-find.  While
these two programs are great, I felt that apt-dialog would fill yet
another need geared towards yet another target audience.

apt-dialog will have all the features of gnome-apt, but will be more
userfriendly and prettier than apt-find.  IMO, apt-dialog would appeal to
newbies than apt-find would.

apt-dialog has, up until now, been scripted using /bin/sh as the
interpreter.  as of version 0.28, it will be scripted using perl, due to
its flexible nature..

it has been suggested that I write it in C(++), but I know no C.  it was
also suggested that i do it as a sort of 'port' after I get the basics of
apt-dialog.  FYI: This is licenced under the GPL.

apt-dialog is at: http://valinor.hawg-wild.com/%7Ebreakerx/apt-dialog/
if you've any problems, comments, sugestions, or otherwise, please don't
hessitate to contact me at breakerx@valinor.hawg-wild.com

0.28 will feature better security (by making use of the 'mktemp' command).
currently, however, apt-dialog attempts to remove such temporary files
prior to attempting to write them, lessening the security risks in 0.25.

If you have a problem with apt-dialog complaining you're not root, but
you're sure you are: if you've used 'su', make sure you've used 'su -l
root' -- otherwise, the $USER variable does not change as required for
apt-dialog to know if you're root.

If anybody wishes to package apt-dialog, I should ask that you hold off
until I am satisfied with the basic functionality--atm, I am not.

Thanks! :)
Andrew Dvorak
JCommons@IRC