Re: Ethernet Drivers

On Tue, Mar 31, 1998 at 11:51:49PM +0100, Andrew Patterson wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone can help me.

Yes, on the debian-user mailing list.  This list is for Debian
development and related issues.

> I run Debian 2.0 and have Netvin FE100AM Network Adapters. I have
> looked everywhere for drivers but the closest was for a NetVin
> NV5000SC.

> I asked Netvin but they said since Linux had so many different
> versions it would be impossible to write drivers for them.

Bullshit.  They don't know what they are talking about, obviously.  I
would be curious to talk with whoever told you that.

> Does anyone know where to get drivers or someone who would write
> them for Debian Linux.

Linux is Linux is Linux.  There is *one* kernel.  Debian does not
produce its own kernel, except in the sense that we have compiled a
specific version of the generic linux kernel.  It is the same kernel
(except for maybe one or two little things?) that Redhat, Suse and
everyone else uses.

To write drivers, people need specs - are these people providing them?

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton               |   Fortune rota volvitur - descendo minoratus
davidw@prosa.it               |    alter in altum tollitur - nimis exaltatus