Re: Wish for including HTML validator into Debian

On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 10:35:34PM +0200, Davide G. M. Salvetti wrote:
> MB> However, plain SP is very strict and anal about everything (try to validate
> MB> www.netscape.org and www.microsoft.org, even with the HTML 4.0 transit DTD).
> MB> It's not what a normal end user would like to use (although they should!).
>
> SP is not `strict and anal', it's really the other way round!

It better is, or I have to distrust it. SP should check for DTD compliance.

> If one doesn't want to support just Mozilla and IE, the right DTD
> should be closely followed, and if one must use 4.0 she'd better use
> the Transitional flavor.

No, I think one should use the HTML 4.0 strict + Cascade Style Sheets.

> I really think a normal end user should check her HTML documents
> against the chosen DTD.

I think so, too! Unfortunately, most people don't want compliant SGML
documents, but flashy web sites. Please read again what I wrote, and you'll
see that we agree.

Thanks,
Marcus